Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Detox

So I decided to start the dr. oz 3 day detox yesterday because.. well I just wanted to try it out. why not right? Well to be completely honest it lasted like a day and a half because I got bored. Too many smoothies not enough chewing. And I realized something, detoxes are great they really are for cleaning out your system and starting fresh and healthy. However, I am already healthy and the foods I eat on a regular basis are like my own personal daily detox. And I really didn't do this to lose weight, I didn't even weigh myself before because that was just not my goal. Therefore stopping it really wasn't quitting. My goals just changed. I feel like 3 days is too much for someone like me who only puts those bad things into my body every once in a while. (see instagram for a few examples of my cheats ;)) I would probably do detox again every once in a while but only for one day. I did like the results after yesterday even with my rice cake cheat and today I kept up with all the shakes I just added a simple salad with lettuce, salsa and edamame. But tomorrow, no more shakes/smoothies for a meal but I will try to make my portions a bit smaller and maybe even incorporate one as a snack just to get back into my regular clean eating habits.
Now the detox itself I liked well enough. Three smoothies one for breakfast lunch and dinner and then you repeat one as a snack. The breakfast smoothie is delicious! I wouldn't make any changes to the ingredients. On the lunch and dinner ones however I did make a few modifications to make it taste better (sue me, I make the rules)
Lunch: I used 3 celery sticks instead of 4. Believe me do this and you will thank me, the celery gives it quite a weird texture so less is more. If you have a large green apple use 1/2 but if you had little ones like I did use the whole thing. Use a little over 1 cup of pineapple, again you'll thank me for making the taste better. I didn't have coconut oil nor did I really want to buy any just so I could use 3 tbsp. and never again sooo I used all natural pb instead (like I said I make the rules) I figured it'll add a little better taste and keep with the healthy fat thing the coconut oil was going for. Also don't forget to peel the cucumber and cut all the veggies and apple into little pieces to help the blending.
Dinner: The dinner was a lot better than the lunch one all I really did to modify was maybe add a little more mango to sweeten it and reduce the cayenne! The first time I made it I did the whole amount and it was way too spicy, especially since my wisdom teeth  are still healing. So the next time I did 1/8 tsp and maybe even a little less.

Oh and a couple other tips: try to use frozen fruit, it will make your smoothies cold and yummy without adding ice to water it down. And drink all of the smoothie you make. They actually make a lot especially the lunch one and while you may feel super full and want to just toss the rest, you shouldn't. Wait a while until you don't feel like you're going to burst and then finish it. When you are hungry soon after and thinking to yourself " I wish I still had smoothie left, why did I toss it?" Well yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment