Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Southwestern Spaghetti Squash

Tonight I decided to get a little creative for dinner for me and my mom. Spaghetti Squash is a type of squash that when you cook it and then shred the inside with a fork it comes out in little strings that resemble pasta. It can be used in all types of recipes to make it low-carb friendly. Today i decided to use some leftovers from the last couple days and made a southwestern stuffed version of the food.

Recipe: (amounts vary I didnt really measure everything)

1 Spaghetti squash cut in half lengthwise
1/4 each of green and red bell peppers chopped
1/2 large onion chopped
1 cup corn ( I actually had 2 cooked corn on the cobs that I sliced the kernels off of)
1 cup black beans ( I used leftovers from last nights dinner)
3 cloves of garlic minced
cayenne pepper
other spices to your liking

     First cook the squash cut side up at 400 deg for about 45 minutes. While that is cooking, chop the vegetables. Then heat up some oil (in my house we use no salt added veggie stock, it does the same thing as oil with none of the fat etc) and add the onion. Cook until translucent then add the garlic and peppers. Cook for a few minutes then add the beans, corn and spices. When the squash is cooked take a fork and shred most of it leaving a small layer behind. Add the squash to the veggie mixture and combine. Then add half to each side of the squash and you can bake it in the oven for a few more minutes if you wanted to add cheese to the top. You can also add chicken or something for a non-vegetarian dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment